- Can a gun be sent to my house?
No, all firearms must be sent to a FFL (federal firearms license) dealer.
- Do I need to have a background check?
Yes, all firearms purchases require a federally mandated background check to be completed by the FFL dealer at the time the firearm is picked up.
- Can I have the background check done before buying a gun?
No, the background check must be completed at the time the firearm is transferred from the FFL dealer to you.
- Do I need to have a license?
Most states do not have a licensing requirement, but some local or state laws require a gun license.
Cheaper Than Dirt! recommends you check with your local FFL dealer or refer to the NRA-ILA to check your state’s gun laws.
- Do I need to have a concealed carry permit?
No, you do not need a carry permit to buy a gun online.
- Is it legal to buy a gun online?
Yes! It is entirely legal to purchase a firearm online, but the firearm must be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer.
- Why does the firearm need to be shipped to a FFL?
The Gun Control Act of 1968 outlined new rules for selling and transferring firearms. As a result, it is now federal law to have all firearms shipped to a FFL dealer so the person the firearm is being transferred to can fill out the proper paperwork and complete the required background check.